Senior Operations Engineer
Hiboo Networks Inc., is a new telecommunications company in the Ottawa-Gatineau region that is wholly owned by Hydro Ottawa Holdings Inc.
Hiboo Networks Inc is passionate and excited to provide high-quality and high-speed fibre optic network solutions and internet services to the Ottawa-Gatineau region. Our fast, high-capacity and highly secure connectivity solutions built on state-of-the-art technology, will deliver the low latency and high reliability network services that the business community increasingly requires to support the region’s global leadership and international growth and success.
Imagine working for an exciting new company, where employees have a chance to make a difference, be innovative and contribute to the success of the organization.
Hiboo Networks Inc. is currently searching for a talented individual to join our team as a Senior Operations Engineer. You will play a critical role in leading the development of the tools, techniques, and processes for maintaining and supporting a modern Service Provider Network and its Customers. This position will drive the development of robust operations capabilities, leveraging resources both inside the organization and within the outsourced NOC and vendor support teams. The Senior Operations Engineer will have the opportunity to work closely with members from across the organization as part of the company’s early days of launch.
The successful candidate will have the unique opportunity to develop a service provider network operations practice from the ground up. In addition, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to work with leading technology providers to select the latest tools and platforms to create a world class operations and support system.
Here’s What You Will Do
- Develop policies and procedures for planned network maintenance activities and create a working schedule for major and minor maintenance intervals
- Lead the development of tools and procedures to respond to network faults, and act as point person in the response, while leveraging outsourced NOC personnel (Fault Management)
- Lead the development of tools and procedures to monitor and capture the configuration of network devices and to track changes, including the provisioning of new elements (Configuration Management)
- Lead the development of tools and procedures to monitor and report on network usage by customers for billing purposes (Accounting Management)
- Develop reporting tools and metrics for network performance (Performance Management), and working guidelines for capacity management
- Support the Senior Network Architect in the development of a SOC and further develop the tools and procedures for managing authentication, authorization, and auditing of vulnerabilities and device access (Security Management)
- Develop procedures and criteria for acceptance testing of new connections and devices into the network on behalf of the NOC
- Have responsibility over Moves, Adds, Changes, and Deletions (MACD) of customer connections and own the end-to-end provisioning processes.
- Drive operational efficiency and reduce errors through the development of automation tools, scripts, and templates
- Develop working relationships with the partner vendors, service providers, outsourced NOC and SOC, as well as contract resources in order to build a unified operations and support structure to the Hiboo network
- Provide support (level 2) to Network Systems Engineer, outsourced NOC, field and outside plant services for provisioning and support
- Lead the response team during major incidents affecting the network, drive towards identification of the root cause, and execution of remediation activities
- Support ongoing service provider network expansion and evolution into new technologies such as SDN/NFV and zero-touch provisioning
- Assist with technical recruitment, onboarding, and performance management within the network operations team
Here’s What you Need – Skills and Qualifications
- A Post-Secondary Diploma or Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or related discipline
- Preferred ten (10+) years of hands-on technical experience, and 5+ years in a network operations role within a service provider network environment
- Experience with Business Services such as Internet, Ethernet, MPLS, Data Center/Cloud connectivity
- Proficiency with service provider technology implementation such as, BGP, EVPN, VPLS, ESI-LAG, etc.
- A professional level certification from a major routing technology provider such as Juniper, Cisco or Nokia (‘Service Provider’ certification preferred)
- Experience with log processing and SIEM tools, as well as techniques for correlation of events and alarms
- Proficient in scripting languages such as Python, Ansible, or equivalent
- Technical ability along with business acumen for leading presentations
- Strong understanding of security measures and implementation such as DDOS, DNS Security, SOC and other cloud managed security solutions
- Strong understanding and experience with service provider Network Operations and End-to-End service management (i.e. OSS/BSS)
- The ideal candidate has in depth knowledge of Juniper network products (MX, ACX, and SRX) and software tools (Junos Space, Paragon)
*This position is expected to be a part of the teams’ rotational on-call duties and, when required, be a part of managing/supporting after-hours incidents or major project deployments in the evenings or weekends as required.
Here’s What’s Great to Have – Core Competencies
- Adaptable, adjusts and responds to change, can pivot and prioritize
- Commitment to quality and excellence
- Entrepreneurial spirit, is innovative, challenges the status quo and can take risks
- Motivated to “hit the ground running”, a self-starter who can take initiative
- Integrity, is trustworthy, fulfills commitments and does what is right
- Collaboration skills, a team player who loves working with others and sharing ideas
- Provides “best in class” customer service
- Experience in a start-up organization and/or the telecommunications services industry is an asset
- Bilingual and the ability to effectively communicate to business leaders in both English and French is an asset
Here’s Why You Should Join the Hiboo team!
- Compensation and Incentive Program
- Benefits and RRSP Matching Program
- Generous Paid Leave
- Employee Referral Bonus
- Wellness Reimbursement Program
- Home Office Reimbursement Program
- Cell Phone Reimbursement Program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Professional Development
As we build our team, the health, safety, and well-being of our employees is our top priority. Hiboo offers employees flexible work arrangements however, this position is located in Ottawa, and face-to-face meetings with the team will be required. We value the innovation and teamwork that happens when employees come together and are committed to establishing a dynamic workforce that reflects the community it serves. We are stronger together!
Hiboo Networks Inc. is committed to establishing a qualified workforce that reflects the diverse population it serves, and we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to preventing and removing barriers to employment for people with
disabilities and invite you to contact us if you have questions regarding accessibility or accommodation.
If you are looking to join a new dynamic organization that values entrepreneurial thinking, excellence, innovation, integrity, teamwork and best in class service, we want to meet you!